This morning, Roberto Martinez has confirmed that Everton are yet to receive any fresh bids from Manchester United for Everton duo, Marouane Fellaini and Leighton Baines. Two days on from the initial bid, I find it bizarre that if United want these players so badly, why haven’t they submitted a second offer?
Maybe Moyes is trying to unsettle the players, and if so he’ll wait until tomorrow to make the bid, effectively ruling them out of their game on Saturday. United saw an earlier bid of £28m immediately rejected by Everton, and Martinez did admit that the bid has turned the players heads slightly. So a follow-up offer would surely unsettle the pair even more.
When asked if there had been any movement on the transfer front, Martinez said:
“Everything has been quiet on that front.
“Everything has been as we have informed our fans. I think that is the way we are going to deal with the window now.
“We are still trying to be as strong as we can. If there is anything we need to inform our fans, we will do. But now the focus has to be the games.
I’d certainly expect United to go back with another offer in the coming days, but they’ll have to work fast as Everton won’t sell if they don’t have time to reinvest the money.
Martinez then went on to say something must be done about the current window ending after the season has already begun:
“I have said it time after time, it’s time for the football authorities to look into the situation.
“I think the transfer window is getting out of hand and really affecting the values of the league. I think it is affecting the human side of the players in a very, very unfair manner.
“It’s about time that we stopped the window or we stopped the official games in the middle of the window.”
I’d fully agree that the transfer window should be shut before the season starts, because usually United get all their business done early. This year is somewhat of an anomaly though, with the new manager wanting to give the players he already has a chance before looking elsewhere.