Manchester United finally announced the signing of Marcos Rojo today, and ahead of the Argentine’s debut, we’ve compiled this fact file including everything you need to know about the defender. Rojo is certainly a good start, but he simply has to be the first of many new incomings if United are to challenge for silverware this season.
Earlier in the window he was targeted by Liverpool and Chelsea, but eventually Manchester United managed to acquire his services.
- Rojo grew up in La Plata, Argentina and joined his local side Estudiantes de La Plata at the age of ten.
- He made his first-team debut in 2008, aged 18.
- His first trophies were the Copa Libertadores and an Argentine Primera Division double.
- He has a tattoo of the Copa Libertadores on his body, dedicated to the victory.
- In 2011, he moved to Spartak Moscow where he largely disappointed.
- He lasted just six months in Russia, before Sporting Lisbson made a £3.5million move for the Argentine.
- At just 24, the defender has an impressive 28 caps for the Argentina side, including an appearance in the 2014 World Cup final.
- He was named in the 2014 World Cup Team of the Tournament
- His versatility could be an asset, as he can play both left-back and centre-back.
- He likes a goal or two, having scored 11 goals in his 130-game professional career to date.
- He also likes a tackle, having been booked 21 times and sent off four times in 49 league matches.
- He likes to do Rabona clearances in the area, so basically, he’s a bit of a showoff.
- Refused to train in order to push a move to Manchester United through.
- Signed for Manchester United, for £15.8million plus Nani.